My husband and I were out most days the last week.
Though the kids were kept busy with their playmates and home activities; they noticed our absences. And MC asked, ' you know what mama, it's been a long time since you played with us. When can you play with us again?'
Though I expected that they would miss our presence, the question jolted me. I know that we are being busy as we are working on something for our future; but I also know that we should not ignore the present. The kids needed us now.
Right there and then I decided to stay home. I devoted that whole day playing with the kids. I realized I missed playing with them, too.
Despite being busy, there should always be a time to play with the kids. Dont wait for tomorrow, there is always time, even a short one, now.
And here's how I manage with my 'short but sweet' playtimes:
1. Mornings I wake them up a little earlier and cuddle with them and tickle them.
2. While combing their hair, we play a game of pretend.
3. On the road I call them and play short puzzle games.
4. Evenings we go for short walks or a quick visit to the playground.
5. If I am too tired, we would simply draw together or read together.
Of course, big playdates and longer play hours are reserved during weekends and holidays.